Answered By: Library Help team
    Views: 64

Such photocopying is possible under the terms of the CLA licence. However, you need to be able to answer “yes" to all of the following:

  • Are the copies being provided for registered University students or contracted University staff only? The number of copies should not exceed the number of students and staff involved on the particular course of study.
  • Is the copying being taken from an original copy of the book or journal which has been purchased from University funds?
  • Does the CLA licence cover the particular book or journal?
    The licence permits photocopying from most material published in the UK, the USA and other international territories. However, some material is excluded and some publishers are not covered.
  • Are my copies within the extent limits (i.e. no more than 5% or one chapter of a book; no more than one article from a single journal issue)? The licence does not cover newspapers, maps, printed music and some other specific categories and individual works.

Further copyright information can be found on the University's Copyright page or contact for additional guidance. Detailed information on copyright and how this impacts on teaching staff is available from the copyright pages accessible from the Portal (Workplace tab).

Related Topics

Further help

The Library Help site can provide help & information relating to Library services.
For help beyond Library services: